LaYeguada_02
In Fuentes de Andalucía, Sevilla, we find one of the best chestnut studs, a traditional and prestigious livestock dedicated to Pura Raza Española or PRE (Purebred Spanish Horse) that has always been kept by the same family.

The origin of this stud is hard to know exactly due to its antiquity and the absence of documents that certify the exact date of its foundation. The first reference is found on the handbook “Doctrina del cavallo, y arte de enfrenar dedicada al Serenísimo Sr. Don Juan, Príncipe de Portugal del Brasil”. Thanks to this, we know that in the year of 1731 there were already horses with this brand that were taken care of on the Royal stables and used for the Royal Family to participate in the most important events of the court.

In 1852 the number of horses increased with an entire batch of mares that belonged to Don Joaquín Fernández de Peñaranda, reaching a hundred of breeding mares.

During four decades, studs with straight profile and Oriental type, with ‘cartujano’ origins and property of Don Vicente Romero, were used. The primary market for the stud was then, during the time of the Monarchy, Lisbon.

Horses from this stud were commonly used by Don Carlos, Portugal’s King, some of them being part of the National Stud. During the Portuguese Republic, in 1920, the three-year foals “Aficionado” and “Escamadillo” were bought to become stallions of the National Stud. With the same intention, the Spanish Government bought the foal “Naranjito” (1914) and the stallion “Damasquino” (1923).

The stud included a hundred breeding mares until the year of 1914, where steam threshing machines began to be common and the market of horse-related products minimized. From that year on, the number of breeding mares decreased thanks to the scrupulous selection made by Don José María de la Escalera y Fernández de Peñaranda, grand-father of the actual owner. He kept just 40 PRE breeding mares that were never crossed to other bloodlines and used a five step hand ladder as brand.

From 1902 to 1969 Don José Luis de la Escalera y Vasco took charge of the stud after his father, Don José María de la Escalera. He sold horses to the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, the Spanish Army, the Police Force of Barcelona, the ‘remonta’, the Yeguada Militar (Spanish Military Stud) and some new farmers that in time reached prestige as breeders.

LaYeguada_01
LaYeguada_04
In 1960, his widow, Doña Fernanda de la Escalera Avecilla, keeps running the stud until her children became adults. In 1973, the stud is divided into two different, for Doña María Fernanda and for Don José Luis, being the last who kept the location, Cortijo del Pozo Santo, and the brand of their ancestors. From now on, Doña María Fernanda begins to use her own brand and establish her stud on the San Gerardo ranch.

This stud, with chestnut and black coats, will be run with great knowledge and mastership by her husband, Don Manuel de Novales Vasco (RIP) until the day of his death on a tragic car accident, on January the 16th, 1991. After this unexpected and sad loss, her wife, who names the stud, takes over with the aim of continuing the unfinished project in the best possible way. She kept his lines of work: a careful selection of the specimen that preserves the morphology and functionality, but also the pureness and beauty of PREs.

We’re probably talking about the most recognized stud, national and internationally, in terms of awards, merits and distinctions. Plus, this might be the stud that historically sold more breeders, shipping horses to more than 20 different countries. Also, it’s important to highlight that this stud is the most awarded on the Spanish Championship and the only one that has a stud, Ermitaño III, that earned the “ÉLITE” nomination from the Ministry of Agriculture. It’s the only one PRE horse that has this distinction worldwide.

In conclusion, PRESTIGE, ANTIQUITY AND QUALITY are the words that would describe the best this legendary stud.

LaYeguada_03